Vetiver Network International Forum

This forum is for public viewing but registered users only to discuss and exchange information relating to Vetiver Grass and the Vetiver System.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the new (November 2018) Vetiver Network International Forum. Share your views and ideas, and help grow the Vetiver System in both size and quality to the benefit of its users and the Planet at large

#51 2019-08-31 03:49:20

Evan

Re: Evan's Photos of Vetiver

YgZsf5tl.jpg
dlFjiSNl.jpg
rZJrytZl.jpg
SqdXHhkl.jpg
wQ4VhEVl.jpg

#52 2020-03-09 03:19:31

Evan

Greywater Vetiver maintained:

lKLcIlHl.jpg
PoxJUC3l.jpg
2YbRCial.jpg
n87aZD2l.jpg
SKRfRPtl.jpg
52GYbxCl.jpg
eSURIU5l.jpg

After long dry season, difference in growth and greenery after a limited planting window this year:

OyrGCxAl.jpg
rLHtzFjl.jpg
WdUt9A0l.jpg
LF6YsSDl.jpg
DlzRe5il.jpg
tUYOoHrl.jpg
sXuhmMJl.jpg
HA0Gz2jl.jpg
Ea3vpmzl.jpg
j23lRBjl.jpg
E5dWAI9l.jpg
RoywlSYl.jpg

Headcut repair with marginal Vetiver 'luna' has changed the way water enters the headcut slope. There is a second further down the gully with excess water going around the luna too. The Vetiver pictured is marginal due to over 50% shade which is why native trees and sedges (Lomandra) have been planted into the Vetiver area:

1GclRMHl.jpg
rKnJzZwl.jpg
j8hvk12l.jpg
ql2NSgJl.jpg

#53 2020-03-11 21:05:23

admin
Admin

These first images of root bound plants - when removed from pots and transplanted do the roots continue to grow, or do new roots only grow from the crown. PK Yoon found that generally root bound vetiver roots did not grow. Similarly he found that bare rooted slips with cut roots only grow new roots from new tillers?

#54 2020-03-11 22:47:05

Evan

These first images of root bound plants - when removed from pots and transplanted do the roots continue to grow, or do new roots only grow from the crown. PK Yoon found that generally root bound vetiver roots did not grow.

No way to tell except for an experiment? I would hazard a guess that they would continue to grow in some fashion or at least operate in the fine root feeding stage because it's no different than a root hitting a rock or similar. Plus airpruning at the bottom of the pots is not killed and then replaced with a new root. Did he observe that rootbound plants shedded all their existing roots when planted?

Similarly he found that bare rooted slips with cut roots only grow new roots from new tillers?

I've read that before and have seen you repeat it. That's not entirely true in my observations. When water propagating roots during an extended soak, some (but not all and not always) of the cut roots will grow fine feeder roots from the existing roots in the water. But yes, the majority of new root growth is from the crown.

Those rootbound ones went into a nutrient free experiment I was conducting anyway. I can pull them up and check the roots. The experiment was a bit of a failure as I didn't water enough and the drought was bad but they all survived, just took a step back in the initial stages so I felt the experiment was ruined. Still grew though.

lsAoI02l.jpg
W1iB4YGl.jpg
2PSUmhGl.jpg
T4t8eYDl.jpg
DU4oVAVl.jpg

#55 2020-11-21 04:43:00

Evan

Maintaining greywater treatment area.

xlpFcQH.jpg
06VBNSl.jpg
itZsz0R.jpg
nTr6H3k.jpg
mMFVQVY.jpg
IhfE3wv.jpg

#56 2020-11-22 03:16:19

Evan

Replacing divided clumps.

CQ5Xo0S.jpg

J2wzPgj.jpg

yGlVnzI.jpg

#57 2020-11-22 18:28:42

admin
Admin

Thank you Evan, I assume that the "empty" spaces were dug for plant material. Looks as though overall that there is good growth in this low lying location

#58 2020-11-23 07:27:46

Evan

admin wrote:

Thank you Evan, I assume that the "empty" spaces were dug for plant material. Looks as though overall that there is good growth in this low lying location

Yes,the empty spaces have just been harvested and replanted with bareroot slips. The smaller plants were harvested last growing season and I tend to harvest on offset rows (the whole farm was also planted in offset - 2 rows 1m apart then the middle row planted later). I also harvest from the other side which is not pictured in the same way - 2 matching beds side by side. We have had a bade year with rain again unfortunately, I haven't planted a single Vetiver in the field due to the lack of it.

I do get good growth from here and also terrible growth at other times. As I've mentioned before, it's an old waterchestnut paddy sunk into a paddock and is not far from being near level with a nearby creek so during drought and low rainfall (like now) the growth can be good. But in high rainfall and high creek levels, the bed will flood with the rising watertable. Last rainy season was 4 months underwater and the stain is still on the leaves across the paddy. This causes a lack of tillering and die back of inner material often during the peak growing time (I've tried to correspond with Dr Paul about it but there aren't many flooding nurseries like mine). I have other Vetiver on a nearby gully flow on the same flood plain which performs better during rainfall and worse during dry periods. So, basically, I have both climatic extremes covered.

The mulch is very thick through the paddies (and soil is hugely improved) so I use it as a good example of carbon storage to people who come and check it out. I've probably cycled more carbon through here in 3 years than I have planting 500+ trees a year for 8 years elsewhere across the property due to the poor conditions we have been having.

#59 2020-11-23 21:28:00

admin
Admin

do you observe any difference in tree growth, earlier leaf flushing etc. when vetiver is associated with trees. excellent looking vetiver. What is your rainfall?

#60 2020-11-23 21:57:40

admin
Admin

Interesting observation of yours on carbon cycling. In India vetiver was propagated on old rice paddy fields , but with controlled flood irrigation - grew well, and of course did not suffer from prolonged flooding. Your "paddy" vetiver actually looks quite good -- has it improved the drainage at all.?

Board footer