Vetiver Network International Forum

This forum is for public viewing but registered users only to discuss and exchange information relating to Vetiver Grass and the Vetiver System.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the new (November 2018) Vetiver Network International Forum. Share your views and ideas, and help grow the Vetiver System in both size and quality to the benefit of its users and the Planet at large

#1 2018-10-31 12:48:13

Evan
Administrator

Data Usage on desktop

When loading thumbnails in the search menu, are the images being downloaded at full size and then scaled to thumbnail size?

If they are, can I suggest resizing thumbnails in a separate directory on the server and present that to the search menu and only load full size photos when a project is clicked on?

If we use this article as a benchmark - https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2018/ … bsite.html - you can see cutting down on data transmission has a significant increase in energy savings (and data) all round.

#2 2018-11-02 17:21:19

admin
Admin

Re: Data Usage on desktop

Evan,  you seem to have a much better understanding of the technology behind the app.  Please record all your suggestions as to how the app could improved for the next version.  There are bound to be a number of areas that would benefit from improvements.  But at least we seem to have a workable app.

#3 2018-11-03 00:28:56

Evan
Administrator

I'm not a web developer. I remember reading a guide once on storing thumbnails versus scaling full-size images.

You can see in the below screenshot that a thumbnail for one site out of many is 160KB in size and scaled down from 864x627 to 78x57.

If the thumbnails were natively loaded at 78x57, the size may only be <20KB or so, saving a lot of data. All those thumbnails on the left menu download at once and scale which is unnecessary. I think coupled with image/server hosting speed (possibly not spread out over Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) or based in Asia) that iVGT tends to lock up on me while they are downloading.

data.png

#4 2018-11-03 06:25:37

Dick_Grimshaw

Very good point - I sent your original comments to the Developers.  hope they will take into account

#5 2018-12-13 21:02:12

Dick_Grimshaw

Did a check on the total upload size when first opening app - 7.5 MB

#6 2018-12-13 23:53:30

Evan
Administrator

I've just done a few tests, just loading the front page.

I just tested https://ivgt.ldd.go.th/vetivertrack/ with the Full Page test in Pingdom Tools.

This specific test was done on December 14. The web page took 8042 ms to load, used 199 requests, and weighed in at 20.5 MB.

The Google Page Speed performance grade for this web page is 66/100.

There’s a ton of more information you can check out here: https://tools.pingdom.com/#59ea701b46000000

test.png

test2.png

You can see one of them took 41 seconds to load fully.

Board footer