Vetiver Network International Forum

This forum is for public viewing but registered users only to discuss and exchange information relating to Vetiver Grass and the Vetiver System.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the new (November 2018) Vetiver Network International Forum. Share your views and ideas, and help grow the Vetiver System in both size and quality to the benefit of its users and the Planet at large

#1 2018-11-14 01:36:21

Dick_Grimshaw

C.nigritana anatomical differences

In some correspondence with Effiom Oku, Senior Research Fellow at the University of Abuja, Nigeria, the subject of significant differences between what is C. nigitana that grows in Nigeria, and the C.nigitana in Ghana and Senegal _ read on

"In our study of the potentials of C.nigritana in cleaning wastewater with C. zizaniodes as a control, I was particularly interested in the hypothesis that nigritana seed is viable. Dr. Catherine Nnamani a member of the team is a Botanist specializing in Plant taxonomy. She worked on the viability of both the seeds of zizaniodes and nigritana. A detailed anatomical studies was done on both zizanoides and native Nigeria nigritana. Scientifically nigritana seeds we have in Nigeria are not viable and the vetiver plant is quite different from the vetiver in pictures from Senegal referred to as nigritana.

The species in the picture from Senegal and the one I saw in Northern Ghana are the same with viable seeds. They differ from the native vetiver species in Nigeria. Presently, in the vetiver field at University of Abuja, horses from our Faculty of Veterinary Medicine will enter the field and eat C. zizanoides and without touching  native C. nigritiana. An indication that these two species are different.

I took C. zizaniodes, Dale introduced in Southern Ghana to the Northern part of Ghana to work with the farmers. The farmer told me they have vetiver in Northern Ghana. I saw what they called vetiver, it was the same as species in Senegal  and it  is invasive.

In Ibadan western Nigeria, Babalola planted and worked with vetiver since 2001/2002. To date, there is no volunteer vetiver stand within the field or anywhere within the university of Ibadan to suggest it is from seed or it is invasive.

In the high rainfall southern part of Nigeria, I obtained the same species of native vetiver in the wild and multiplied. From 2003 till date there is no evidence of a volunteer stand of vetiver in the field to suggest it grown from the seed. Aside the tillering, a characteristic of vetiver, there is no evidence of invasiveness."

This is something quite new and I would be interested in any views or observations. The attached photos are both C.nigritana grown in Nigeria originating from the Gongola River flood plain.

NIG-ER01o.jpg

NIG-PL01o.jpg

Board footer