Vetiver Network International Forum

This forum is for public viewing but registered users only to discuss and exchange information relating to Vetiver Grass and the Vetiver System.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the new (November 2018) Vetiver Network International Forum. Share your views and ideas, and help grow the Vetiver System in both size and quality to the benefit of its users and the Planet at large

#1 2018-10-27 22:10:24

Evan
Administrator

Facebook Discussion Transfer to this forum

I was wondering whether or not we, or someone, should transfer the permalinks of interesting FB discussions to this forum for posterity while FB still exists. They could all be stored in one thread.

The unfortunate problem with FB is that if anything ever happens that information is lost forever. I commend you trying to keep the information under your control and I hope that it will work but the pull of FB may be too strong.

I've also included an arrow to where the permalink exists. The link is the date of the post.

bq4c4cdl.jpg

#2 2018-10-27 22:11:51

Evan
Administrator

Re: Facebook Discussion Transfer to this forum

Also, I couldn't use the 'Add Attachment' or 'Add Image to post' but that may be because I have my browser with lots of privacy addons and script control. Can everyone else use it?

#3 2018-10-27 22:46:08

admin
Admin

add attachment doesn't work at this time - working on it! Image post does work. see here.
IMG-3480.jpg

#4 2018-10-27 22:47:47

admin
Admin

Excellent idea Evan. Do you have the time to take the responsibility? What steps do you take to place the FB post on this forum? I tried but it did not work

#5 2018-10-27 23:13:50

Drachmeler

Evan hope we can figure out the FB transfer. It is a great idea.

#6 2018-10-28 00:54:27

Evan
Administrator

vetiver wrote:

Excellent idea Evan. Do you have the time to take the responsibility? What steps do you take to place the FB post on this forum? I tried but it did not work

You won't be able to retain the information, just the link to the FB post. I was previously part of a regenerative agriculture group that went to great pains in archiving the information and it basically boiled down to screenshots of the posts with comments screenshot too. Way too much work.

In the end the group broke down because the potential loss of information was too great if FB decided to change any factor.

All I can imagine is that interesting FB posts are added into a thread on here as a list of permalinks. And perhaps encourage discussion here over FB so the information is retained by TVNI (as long as your backup strategies are in place - many a forum have lost everything).

#7 2018-10-28 00:55:35

Evan
Administrator

vetiver wrote:

add attachment doesn't work at this time - working on it! Image post does work. see here.
https://postimg.cc/0rQN5m6v]https://i.p … G-3480.jpg

Must be one of my addons affecting the ability to post to a third party. Thanks for testing it.

#8 2018-10-28 01:06:54

Evan
Administrator

How's this?

One problem is if postimg.cc goes down, the screenshots and any attachments in this forum go down with it. Could you move to a CDN that you are in control of?

Screenshot-2018-10-28-The-Vetiver-Network-International-TVNI-g.jpg

#9 2018-10-28 01:20:34

Evan
Administrator

There is also this method of saving to PDF. The links seem to stay live so you can click through to the photos.

https://u.teknik.io/OpWoY.pdf - this is where I've uploaded the PDF for now so you can test it. I'll delete later.

#10 2018-10-28 02:11:12

Evan
Administrator

Just trialed multiple convert to PDF softwares and the one linked above keeps the best layout. It is proprietary and has some limitations to it but it's probably the best for 'archiving' important threads before they are potentially lost forever.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … /pdf-mage/ - this is the Firefox extension. You have to go through the thread and open up every comment reply and also the 'See More' buttons (I've missed 2 in the above PDF).

I can only imagine you would do something like that on a small percentage of posts of high value information or commentary.

Perhaps a FB topic or subforum can be opened here with a combination of permalinks and archived PDFs. It's just working out which ones to choose is the hardest part.

Board footer